Advice for Parents
We understand that it can be difficult or embarrassing to acknowledge that your child is caring for you, or that you need their help to look after another family member. It is even more difficult to recognise that their caring role is having a negative impact on your son or daughter and to ask for help.
The Young Carers & Family Service can help you get a wide range of support for the young carer in your family and also get support for the person they are looking after. We can help with
- Meeting other young carers through local groups
- Fun activities and breaks, so they can have some downtime
- Emotional and practical support
- Speaking to their school (with their/your permission) so the school understands their situation and is sympathetic when it comes to issues such as homework, lateness/absenteeism, or use of mobile phones.
- Getting extra support for the person they are caring for, so that your child’s caring responsibilities are reduced.
Get in touch to find out how we can help the young carer in your family. You can call us free of charge (Monday- Friday, 9am-5pm) on 0800 083 1148 or use our online quick enquiry form.